Saturday, September 30, 2017

September Scenes



Have you ever stroked an alpaca? Their fleece is amazingly soft!!! Here Don is holding a two month old alpaca for our homeschool group to see and touch. Alpaca fibre is half the weight of sheep wool as the fibres are hollow. Alpaca fibre is also warmer and stronger than sheep's. This was my favourite part of visiting Lanbruk's Gunyah organic farm and museum early this month.


A blacksmith demonstration had also been arranged for our group's visit - of interest to the children and parents/grandparents who came along this sunny spring day.





Crammed with a fascinating variety of historical items, including a relocated original settler dwelling, Lanbruk's private museum is a local treasure. Our homeschool group enjoyed having a close look and listening to Don's informative talk. They even have an original Ned Kelly 'Wanted' poster! 


I wonder what stories this old building could tell - I spotted it in the distance across the river as we listened to the blacksmith.


Don and Dorothy are passionate about both history, organic farming and alpacas - and love sharing this with other people. Our family had visited for L's birthday celebration five years ago. Sadly L's DIY husband D had a tragic accident at home late August. We met up with Don and Dorothy again at D's funeral soon after this homeschool excursion.



September is the beginning of spring - I celebrated it with another photo visit to Flowers by Bonnie!


I heard the noise just after sunrise one Sunday and rushed outside! Snapped the photo above with my phone from our backyard. I quickly grabbed my 'real' camera and went hot air balloon chasing....


This balloon held precious cargo of local friends😊❤️πŸ’™ floating over our beautiful river and beyond. 



The balloons drifted down river so peacefully in the stillness of this Sunday morning.... πŸ’›
Even the birds seemed to enjoy the balloons this. It's been around 12 years since I've seen hot air balloons in our town. It would be amazing to see them regularly like some of you do or have in the past. 
This was part of a fund raising venture by one of our local Jacaranda Queen Candidates. Top idea! Our town's annual Jacaranda Festival begins at the end of next month. .




Master T turned 18 so we declared a one day family holiday (the joys of homeschooling). After opening his gifts he paused to read the personal affirmations/stories which each of his siblings had written for him. Later we headed to the coast for a few hours exploring and relaxing (except for my husband who is not well enough yet).


The birthday boy surrounded by the four sisters who are still living at home. Three older siblings sent their birthday wishes from their respective locations. Wonderful day out at Lake Arragan and surrounds.


Where Lake Arragan meets the sea! Lots of interesting sand and water combinations and textures. This was the main destination for our family birthday trip.






Then we drove a few minutes further to this amazing spot - not hard to see why it is named Red Cliff! This stretch of coastline near Brooms Head is part of Yuraygir National Park and is one beautiful section of the extensive Yuraygir Coastal Walk.



A few more minutes drive further south to Brooms Head, a small coastal village. We all enjoyed spotting whales and following a large pod of dolphins.



Pristine beaches - our local coastline is brimming with them. Often there's not another soul in sight either. It really is a very special area. Looking south towards Sandon from Brooms Head lookout. πŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ’™




Miss O's garden has a colourful sprinkling of beautiful spring flowers. We've not had rain for some months now. A little watering goes a long way with these hardy plants. 




My weeks have been sprinkled with hand sewing (Ice-Cream Soda quilt designed by Jodi Godfrey) and the occasional walk - both of which are a great joy to me. 


*** You may also enjoy my Instagram feed which I add to several times a week. You don't have to join Instagram to view either - just click on the little blue square camera logo under my blog profile (top right hand corner).  
SaveSave

21 comments:

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I've been AWOL from blogging for awhile so haven't been reading much lately. Catching up today and am inspired by all your beautiful photos. You live in the most amazing place. Happy Birthday to your son.

Unknown said...

What beautiful photos, Karen!
I just love that little Alpaca. So sweet.
What a wonderful way to "go to school" for the kids.
A very Happy Birthday to Master T!
Your beach day loos wonderful. It is really a very, very beautiful beach.
Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

Julie said...

Gosh your children are growing up so quickly. I love the vicarious travelling I get to do around parts of Australia when I read your blog. That lake looks beautiful and peaceful.

Paige said...

Oh my goodness, all beautiful photos! You captured your son's birthday so well!

EricaSta said...

Happy Birthday...
Cheers, Heidrun

christine said...

Beautiful and wonderful post...from the alpaca/farm history trip, to the gorgeous scenery to the love between your children. I'm currently knitting cowls from alpaca yarn from a local farm with a yarn mill. It is amazingly sold.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Erin said...

Happy Birthday to T :-) My the years fly by!!!
have been praying for L.
Your photos go from strength to strength xx

O'Quilts said...

Wow ..this is some post..Alpacas and Dolphins and letters of affirmation and beautiful scenery...makes me happy xo

diane b said...

Fabulous photography and beautiful scenery. I must come and explore that coastline one day. Trying to get Mr Stay at Home out is a challenge. Your quilt shares are beautiful as usual. Sorry to hear your husband is still unwell. Happy Birthday to Mr D.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment below-

"I love your site.. continue the good work! Have you any idea
what the theme is by the way?"

The Theme I have used is one of Bloggers "Simple" themes.

Karen

Cathy said...

I truly had to think about your first question...no, I do not think so. Yet, I have knitted with alpaca and it is lovely!
As always it is like observing a photo album as I scroll through your blog. Love your addition of comments too. How far do you live from the sea? It is a beautiful place so unlike our beaches.
Thanks for the bits of sewing thrown in too*smile*

Frea said...

Hello, I 'm a quilter from the Netherlands. I' ve read many of your blog story's and I love the beautifull pictures of nature, bird's, quilts and your familie.
Greatings from Frea

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

i Cathy, thank you for your lovely comment. We have numerous beautiful beaches within an hour's drive up and down the coast. Most of the year the beaches have very few people on them as we are a long way from major population centres. Only a handful of our beaches are patrolled by surf life savers and only during the Christmas summer holidays. Our town is inland a little, on a big river.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hello Frea,

Thank you for introducing yourself :) I'm pleased you enjoy reading my blog stories and having a look at pictures from the other side of the world - a very different country to the Netherlands too.

Do you have a blog or an Instagram account where you share your photos?

Have a lovely day,
Karen :)

Frea said...

No, I do not have a blog. I like to read blogs ( of quilting). A friend of me, we go to the same bee, she have a blog and sometimes she placed pictures of my work on her blog: connysquilts. You can find me on Pinterest ,but I don't no how.
At this moment I'm working on dear Jane, 365 challenge quilt and more. When you can find me on pinterest, you can see, what I've made.
Groetjes Frea

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hello Frea,

It sounds like you have excellent quilt making skills to be sewing these large com[lex quilts. Blogs are a great source of ideas and inspiration, and so are Pinterest and Instagram. i hope you enjoy your sewing.

Karen

SarahZ said...

Lovely September scenes! Your skills with your camera never cease to amaze and bring a smile! Happy Spring, to you and your family, as we welcome Fall :)

Preeti said...

Alpaca fleece is truly the softest! Love seeing the pictures of where you live and explore :) Your Ice Cream Soda blocks are beautiful. Hope your shoulder is feeling much better now xx

Let's Get Sewing said...

Absolutely beautiful photos as usual. I particularly love the red cliff photo! Your ice cream soda blocks are looking amazing!

Jeanne said...

Such an amazingly beautiful day that was with your 5 at home and spending a birthday holiday together. Sorry that your husband is still not well enough to participate, but so happy that you and your kids have such amazing times together. That is a great benefit of home schooling

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...