Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Rain Walk Quilt










As much as I enjoy the pleasures of a slow, hand stitched project, sometimes I just want to sew something where the finish isn't too distanced from the beginning. Over the last few weeks this quilt has been the focus of available blocks of time. 

Starting with a few fat quarters of Anna Graham's Rain Walk collection and one of Pebbles in Turquoise from Landscape, my ideas gradually worked their way into a nice size quilt (40" x 60"). All of these fabrics, as well as the Cirrus solids (Amber, Sprout, Grass, Lagoon, Ocean and Shadow), are by Cloud 9 Fabrics - all are GOTS certified organic cotton.

The colours are not my usual palette choice, but as my husband commented a few times, they go really well together. The back is the Cirrus solid, Amber, and it teams beautifully with the navy (Ocean) blue binding. A row of fabrics from the quilt top make a nice little feature strip on the back. Machine quilted with organic 'straight' lines, the effect is in keeping with the water theme of the quilt, as if the raindrops have left trails in their wake.

Yesterday I completed hand stitching the binding, washed the brand new quilt and hung it outside gently to air dry. I love the rippled effect the quilting gives which is even more pronounced after washing.

We had fun at a local park taking photos this morning - with my plans interrupted by a large water dragon lizard sunning itself, so we relocated down stream a little to a spot which was even better.  :)  Now listed in my Etsy shop, awaiting a new home.


14 comments:

chica said...

Trabalho maravilhoso! Lindas fotos! bjs, chica

Michelle said...

I really like that bold yellow. Gorgeous!

Dirk Rosin said...

kult , det liker jeg !

Elaine @ Beech Tree Lane Handmade said...

It's gorgeous!

SarahZ said...

Oh I love this! And the scenery is so perfect for it!

s.c said...

Indeed a nice design with good matching natural colors.

Susan said...

It is quite a different colour range for you but your husband is right, they do work together. I wouldn't even choose the amber but it makes a wonderful finished effect, as the back is great too. Maybe I need to venture outside my square!

Unknown said...

Oh, those colors definitely do go well together, and what a beautiful quilt this is, Karen!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Very very nice . . . both front and back. It can be fun to work in a color scheme outside of the norm. I'm doing that right now too and I'm really enjoying it.

diane b said...

It is a beauty and looks great with the park backdrop. Nice park too.

Anita Johnson said...

What an inspiration

Kirsten said...

I love everything about this quilt and the photos are just beautiful.

Carla said...

This is so wonderful! Love!!!

Liz said...

What a gorgeous quilt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...