Sunday, February 28, 2016

Summer's Brilliance















Summer lingers long, with all its wonderful goodness and challenges. The grass is becoming dry and crunchy under foot yet life continues with all it's resilient brilliance. This kookaburra comes often, perching on our back fences on the lookout for possible food. 

With a little watering our gerbera daisies continue to flower and produce intricate seed heads. Our new lime tree has a small first crop slowly filling out. Until today I was concerned there may be a problem with the limes as they look different to the smooth skinned ones I see in the shops - but it's a Kaffir lime and (thanks to google) I now know this is exactly as the fruit is meant to look.  :) The large caterpillar on the small orange tree nearby may not be pretty but the Citrus Butterfly which I expect it will become certainly is!

Our 21 year old above, Master J, hitting the shot which scored him his first ever century in cricket. He held his bat too, meaning he was one of the opening batters the previous week and was still not out at the end of last Saturday's play - all his ten team mates in second grade had batted with him and got out (including one of his 18 year old sisters). He scored over half the team's runs, soundly defeating the opposition. It was Pink Stumps Day, a special day of cricket in Australia to raise awareness and support for the McGrath Foundation which assists families affected by breast cancer.


Miss E, the youngest of our eight children, turned eight last week. She was so excited, rising before the sun! In the predawn she chose to read a book (with her favourite dinosaur) while waiting for the rest of the family to wake up. She had a wonderful day, filled with family activities. Master J surprised her by arriving home from uni just for the day! A homemade ice cream cake, with specialty bought ice creams, is a popular summer birthday choice in our family.

Enjoying one of today's passionfruit flowers - they open in the afternoon and last only 24 hours. Their fragrance and glorious visual display leads to luscious fruit some months ahead. 

A week without some sewing would seem incomplete to me. The cool refreshing colours of my Fresh Fields quilt, a long term English Paper Piecing project, have been my stitching choice this week.  :)


19 comments:

chica said...

Que lindas fotos e momentos!Parabéns à aniversariante, feliz em seus 8 anos e com o Lego para montar! beijos, chica

Giga said...

Beautiful pictures from the garden. Even the track I like. Congratulations to the Son, and all the best for Miss E 8 to celebrate a birthday. Best wishes.

Erin said...

Was thinking of Miss E last week on her birthday, belated happy birthday wishes:-) She's just beaming
Love the bridge pic.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely & delightful post about you and your family. I loved it all. Congrats to Master J and belated Happy Birthday to dear Miss E.

Have a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

Cloudia said...

To Dream on! Thanks

Jeanne said...

Karen each of these shots is a treasure. Hard to believe that Miss E is already 8 years old. How fast these precious children grow up! I can feel the beauty of summer in your post, and will be happy here when spring arrives, although it has been a pretty mild winter here in Texas. I am recovering, and looking forward to the beauty of spring arriving! Blessings to you! hope all is going well for you. I always enjoy your attitude of gratitude and your beautiful children and their activities.

Dirk Rosin said...

mange flotte bilder :-)

the momma said...

Happy birthday to Miss E!! How nice that her brother surprised her with a visit ~ that is the sort of gift the little ones 'left at home' really love.
Congrats to the cricket champ.
Your photos are beautiful, as always. They always seem to slow my breathing a little.
Interesting that your passion flowers only last 24 hours ~ ours last several days. I wonder why that would be?? hmmm (I suppose I could be mistaken, but I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have noticed they only bloom for one day...)
I haven't touched my EPP in ages! I'm not quite sure why...
I hope you have a good week ~ Tracy

Barb said...

You know I always love to see those yummy cake creations. happy Birthday Miss E - how can she be 8 already? A great action shot of your son. I love the photo of the birds flying up.

Kim said...

Your photos are balm to the soul, Karen! All are sublime, especially the one of Miss E reading in the light....amazing! Your beautiful hexagon quilt is so peaceful to drink in...so pretty.

Unknown said...

Way to go, Master J!!!!
And a very Happy Birthday to Miss E!!!!
What a fun filled week for everyone.
I love the colors you chose in this project, Karen.
They make me think of spring, which I am waiting very patiently for. :-)

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

All of these photos are gorgeous! So lovely. You are a gifted photographer.

Michelle said...

Congrats to your son and a happy birthday wish to the young lady!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful shots - they made me smile!

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

So beautiful!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your photos have a way of telling stories. The hexie projects looks just right for working with on these warm days we've been having.

Jeanne said...

by the way, that is the best photo I have ever seen of a passion flower. Great Job Karen!!

CountryMum said...

Summer brilliance indeed. I do so love your photography.

Anita Johnson said...

My first comment was going to be fun filled, but the post is just to beautiful...what a delight!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...