Friday, October 24, 2014

Peaceful Night - Completed!






Peaceful Night is at last complete and it brings delight to my eyes and satisfaction to my soul. With a happy mix of bright stars and low volume diamonds, set amongst the twinkling nighttime greys the name suits well.

I'm thankful to have the details of each stage recorded on my blog. It was 16 months ago that I first put pencil to paper and pulled fabrics from my collection as I began this new English Paper Piecing (EPP) adventure. Many thanks to those who offered suggestions, answered my questions and encouraged me along this quilt journey.

I'll let the photos do the talking with links to relevant posts if you wish to find more details.


Designing my block and drawing to a suitable size. June 2013. At this stage I wasn't sure if I
 would stop at a one block pillow or stitch more to make a quilt.


Initial fabric selection - not all made it into the quilt.


I cut all the papers from copy paper, using an old rotary blade and quilting rulers.


After a false start stitch basting and topstitching with quilting thread (too stiff and thick), I put together this
kit to organise my matching polyester threads, fine needles, glue pen, papers and cut fabrics ready for stitching.


A little stitching here and there, my treasure trove of stars began to grow - July 2013.


My little stack of low volume background blocks was also pleasure to work on.


Trying to work out the best arrangement of blocks - lots of different ideas. Nov 2013


 Trying to find the perfect background fabric -
m
ore than one fabric order from the US (2 weeks wait each time).


Decisions were made and progress was happening. Dec 2013


Arrangement of the blocks was decided upon and the star blocks
 stitched together into their rows.

The name Peaceful Night was chosen for the quilt.


This was end of piecing the blocks and more space and time would be needed
to proceed with sewing everything together.
Motivation, time and space had waned.


So Peaceful Night was neatly stacked away for a future time. This was early January 2014.


Other quilting projects (even another epp project) and life took over. I discovered Superior Threads Bottom Line thread which is favoured by many for fine epp stitching. Then I was unexpectedly introduced to the joys of Gutermann Extra Fine thread, a new thread on the market, which seems to be the perfect epp thread for me. Over this time I also refined my hand stitching technique, making smaller stitches, closer together.



End of August 2014 and the time was right to recommence work on Peaceful Night!
Thankfully I now had some Extra Fine thread to help make the finishing even neater.


Main blocks sewn together, edges yet to be finalised and binding fabric ordered.


Quilt top completed!  :)  Mid Sept.


A shimmering collection of silk threads awaiting the beginning of hand quilting. Delightful to the eye and the hand.


Hand quilting with silk was a delight - details shared here and here.


Matilda's Own polyester batting is wonderfully soft, but unfortunately is tending to pill :(




Sporting physio tape and new runners, Miss N played
quilt holder for me yesterday under the jacaranda trees!


Some of my faithful readers may be wondering how I resolved my problems with the binding last week - I secured the quilt top, batting and backing together with a wide, well space zigzag stitch. However once the binding was attached I unpicked the zigzag to give a soft puffy finish to the binding before hand stitching the binding down on the back. Once the binding was complete I adding the last of the hand quilting, parallel to the binding - and I did have enough black silk!  :)


Backed in Exotic Flora in Deep, Bazaar Style by Pat Bravo.




Like many quilts, Peaceful Night holds a story of exploration, progress, discovery, perseverance and delight. 
Thank you to all those who were also part of this journey with me. 


Quilt Stats: 42" x 48" (106cm x 123cm)
Own design, Cotton fabrics, Matilda's Own polyester batting, hand quilted with silk threads.

54 comments:

Lisa said...

Ohhh myyyy - one of the most beautiful quilts I have laid eyes upon - just utterly stunning! The quilt's story and your obvious love for this quilt make it such a happy finish xx.

Cloudia said...

WOW! Super impressive accomplishment!


“Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars.”
Henry Van Dyke


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

I've really enjoyed reading the history of this quilt, having only discovered your blog recently. This quilt has turned out beautifully. I love the colours and the design. I also love that backing fabric - just adorable. Those photos under the jacaranda tree are gorgeous. I'd love to have a tree that colour in my garden, but it's too cold here. Well done on a beautiful quilt.

Erin said...

Wow Karen, Massive job! Well done, beautiful! Do hope N's leg is ok?

Blue Moth said...

Congratulations on this beautiful quilt. This will be a treasured heirloom.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This has been a joy to watch from beginning to end. I can hardly believe it's been 16 months since you started this. It is lovely and your quilting is so delicate and precise.

A lot of love and time go into each of your wonderful creations. I enjoy reading about each one.

Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

Mama Bear said...

YOU. ARE. AMAZING!

Absolutely stunning. I am speechless. well done. What an incredible achievement.
Your photos look so professional. Love everything.
xx
Mama Bear

Karin said...

Beautiful quilt and lovely choice of colours

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's a lovely quilt...enjoying the festival and so many pretties such as yours. Your series of photos was a delight to the eyes :)

Jane said...

You did a great job, and it's lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

What a wonderful journey of discovery and delight you have been on with your glorious Peaceful Night. I have been delighted to read the progress of your beautiful quilt from it's beginning to it's completion. Your narrative has been informative and enlightening.....and your amazing photos....well they are sublime!! The photos in front of that gorgeous Jacaranda tree truly cause me to catch my breath! A truly spectacular quilt, Karen!

Fun60 said...

So pleased to see the finished quilt with a quick resume of the journey. It must give you a great sense of satisfaction and pride to see this exquisite hand made quilt.

Canadian Abroad said...

Beautiful, and the colours you chose are fab. Love it.

Mary Huey said...

It looks great, Karen -- I've enjoyed watching the entire process of this quilt!!

Mary said...

Awesome project! Thanks for sharing it with the Blogger's Quilt Festival. Hand quilted with Silk- that sounds luscious!

Dirk Rosin said...

kjempe flotte bilder !

Repelsteeltje said...

Wonderful project, beautifully finished and pleasing to the eye. Enjoy it. Anne-Marie.

Andrea @ The Champ Life said...

Gorgeous! This is a finish to be proud of for sure! Excellent work- thanks for sharing!

Janneke said...

Miss N. must have tired arms of holding up this beautiful quilt for her mother. It looks great so do your Jacaranda tree too.
Your Peaceful Night is lovely and the backside is beautiful too. You really did a great job!

Gone Country said...

Wow! Just wow! What a beautiful quilt and an amazing journey to its completion. Thank you so much for sharing its story. You are very talented!

Isn't it fun discovering new things that are nice to work with and add beauty to the finished product?!

Lynette said...

This turned out so pretty! I love the quilt, love the backing fabric - You must be so excited to have it finished. :)

Rosemary said...

The perfect combination of creativity, organization and mathematics. Each quilt is a new journey.

Renee said...

Such a lovely quilt! I love the choice of colors and fabrics, and all that silk thread is just gorgeous on it! You did a lovely job!

Pearl Maple said...

lots to be proud of, that is a beautiful quilt and love your colour choices

my blog moved to: www.pearlmaple.com

geanina said...

very nice work and images! complimenti!

Susan said...

What an amazing quilt Karen! It's journey is certainly a delightful one!

Unknown said...

Surely this is a site well worth seeing.

Debbie said...

Your story is as amazing as the finished quilt! Your work is beautiful and your growth and learning show. A real delight!

SarahZ said...

I love happy endings, and to hear of the binding resolution, and enough black silk...what a culmination! It is a truly wonderful piece/peace! Well done Karen!

FilipBlog said...

Very nice work, I wonder of the person behind.

Greetings,
Filip

Rachaeldaisy said...

This is such a beautiful quilt!! It's wonderful to hear the journey it took you on.

audrey said...

This is so much more than just a beautiful quilt. All of your efforts have really amounted to something magical.

diane b said...

I remember you starting this one. Quilting must be a very rewarding hobby.

Vera said...

What a labor of love! Well done. It is beautiful!

Shay said...

I well know the labour and love that goes into hand stitching a quilt, and yours is truly beautiful. Those colours are just divinely pretty. You do amazing work.

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

A beautiful labor of love!

Maryse said...

WOW! What an amazing quilt Karen! I like everything about your quilt, the colors are fantastic, the stitching with the silk thread is quite original. What a beauty and wonderful finish!
Oh! And beautiful photos to look at..
Best of luck with your entry!


Jayne said...

Amazing! Truly a labor of love! Beautiful color combination!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Maryse, I was wanting to hand quilt it as it seemed to demand that touch. In pondering my options I didn’t want a matt finish but not the artificial shininess of rayon or metallics either - than I thought of silk! Natural and with a sheen. Thus began my searching….I now love silks, they are just gorgeous.

The black (crosshatch in charcoal) gives a beautiful snappy contrast to the whites and bright colours, I really do love this quilt.

Dresden Quilter said...

This is so beautiful. Thank you for showing us your progress. It is very inspirational.

Diane Gilleland said...

This quilt is utterly beautiful and, like every EPP quilt, a journey in itself. I'm a newcomer to your blog, so I love being able to see the process of this quilt from start to finish - and to also see how much time that encompassed. Your hand quilting is exquisite!

Julie said...

This is beautiful, so worth the patience, trials and perseverance. Well done.

Cathy said...

Gorgeous quilt, with really beautiful color combination. And thanks for sharing your process.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Such a beautiful quilt. Love the colors, the stitching and the recap of the entire story. Very very special.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, a wonderful journey culminating in an extraordinary quilt! Thank you for sharing the story of your Peaceful Night with us!!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Preeti. One day I should work on a quilt label. None of my own quilts have labels, only the ones I’ve given away.

Robin said...

What a journey! The quilt is just stunning. Thank you for sharing its story too! :)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Robin, it has been a very interesting and satisfying journey too.

Ginny said...

Such a beauty! Love the calm colors and your EPP work is amazing! Congrats on a wonderful finish!

MegsAnn said...

I love all of the process photos and the final product. You should be proud!

Sharon said...

Beautiful photos and quilt!

amy said...

Beautiful! I'm crazy about the silk thread, and didn't even realize from the thumbnail that the background is low volume stars - perfection!! Love it!

Elise Lea said...

Such a beautiful finish. You never cease to amaze with your quilts and this one is no different.

DeborahGun said...

What a beautiful and amazing journey this quilt has had. It is so unbelievably gorgeous, and so precious knowing how much work you put into it. To say that I love it is an understatement!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...