Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Stitch by Stitch












My sore fingers are letting me know good progress has been made since last week! I'm finding the Gutermann Extra Fine polyester thread brilliant for sewing the darker sections to the lighter edge sections. Most of the sewing of this quilt was completed last year, before Extra Fine was available in Australia. 

It's interesting seeing how my hand stitching has changed over time, not only with finer thread and tinier needle but smaller and closer stitches as well. In many ways our quilts tell a story beyond the primary one we intend, providing a snapshot in time of fabrics, techniques, progress and change.

This is the first quilt in which I glue basted the fabric to the papers. All the paper pieces were hand cut to my design from copy paper using quilting rulers and an older rotary blade blade. The larger papers are very easy to remove, some loosening just with handling of the quilt in this large and awkward stage. So far I have removed about half of the papers without any difficulties, leaving others in to give the quilt top some body and help prevent creasing. 

The crosshatch in charcoal for the binding has arrived and a variety of silk threads for hand quilting have been ordered, I can hardly wait to see what they look like. I've never sewn with silk thread - any tips from those who have would be most welcome.



Sharing at WIP Wednesday.


26 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely photos all of them. The black and white is VERY good !
Have a nice day!

JetteMajken

Maryse said...

Beautiful quilt! Beautiful colors! Beautiful work!

Kim said...

My this quilt is every so pretty. Your use of colour and pattern is lovely. Alas no help from me re the silk thread....sorry.

geanina said...

lovely work!!

DeborahGun said...

quilting with silk thread sounds amazing - can't wait to hear your reviews! My Coats and Clark thread that I have been using for hand stitching has finally run out - so I am going to look into the Extra Fine Gutermann. Can I ask what needles you use with it? Thanks :-)

sherry said...

looking lovely calm and peaceful quilt

Annabella said...

It's beautiful and is going to look amazing hand quilted in silks.

SarahZ said...

It is really something to watch this come together! I especially love the top photo! All those stitches :)

Renee said...

It's just lovely! I love all the fabrics and colors you chose!

Gail Lizette said...

This quilt is turning out to be superbly stunning! Have you tried Traumeel for your fingers/hands? It's an arnica cream that helps me quite a bit.

PeachPatchQuilts said...

great layout, i am working on some stars in hexies now and may have to adapt some of your layout ideas

Rachaeldaisy said...

Such a beautiful project. I really like the way you try different threads. What thickness will the silk threads be?

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Rachael. I have ordered a mix of ‘Quilter’s Silk’ (very limited colour range) and ‘Buttonhole Silk’ from Superior Threads, both of which are a #16. I then found (and bought) some Gutermann Buttonhole Silks in many colours on clearance (in Australia) at Ebay - I think these are a #12. Gutermann only seem to have a #100 silk for sale in Australia, although I could be wrong. Looking forward to seeing and feeling each different one…..

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Deborah, sounds like the perfect time to try some Extra Fine Gutermann. I’ve been using some Size 10 Embroidery Crewel needles because they were the finest I had on hand. Sometimes I’ve seen ‘Sharps’ or ‘Straw’ needles recommended for fine threads.

Lisa Gordon said...

"In many ways our quilts tell a story beyond the primary one we intend" I never thought about this, Karen, but how very true it is, and really quite wonderful too, when thought about in this way.

Rest those poor fingers for a bit!!! :-)

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

I think I said the same thing on a previous post, but I love, love, love these colours. And to have made an EPP project of this scale is mind boggling to me! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed that you're doing this all by hand. It's gorgeous!

Carla said...

Just beautiful! Love EPP

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're doing this by hand!! It's so gorgeous and one can really see how much love and passion went into it. I simply just love the fabrics you picked. =)

tinajo said...

Beautiful, I could never pull that off! :-)

http://tinajoathome.com/

Anonymous said...

Your stitches are so tiny and perfect. The quilt top is really coming together so nicely! Are you using a specific needle for sewing your diamonds together? The quilting using silk thread is going to look amazing!

FilipBlog said...

Looks good, for this you need patience.

Greetings,
Filip

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Hi Preeti,
I’ve been using some Size 10 Embroidery Crewel needles because they were the finest I had on hand. Sometimes I’ve seen ‘Sharps’ 'Milliners' or ‘Straw’ needles recommended for fine threads too.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

So lovely. I have no patience for hand work at the moment.

Liz said...

Your quilt is coming together beautifully!

A Colorful World said...

I am so impressed! Your quilt is wonderful! I haven't been by to visit in quite a while, and for that I am so sorry. I had a rough time last year, but I should have come on back once I started blogging regularly again. I have missed your beautiful photos! The renunculus is amazing! Happy Spring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...