Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sparkle and Shine










The last few days have seen more play with my colourful mixed fabrics for my current quilt. There has been much fun adding hand stitching, machine stitching, braid and ribbons. I've been using Sulky 12wt variegated cottons, Gutermann rayon/viscose threads, DMC embroidery threads (metallic and cotton) and some Sulky Metallic thread.




Another new-to-me thread I have thoroughly enjoyed using is the Sulky Sliver. I began using it for a little hand stitching as shown above and below. I love the sparkle it adds to the cloth.






This afternoon I decided to see how the Sliver "thread" would stitch using my faithful (29 year old) Janome. A quick google search gave tips on how this can be done. You need to use a larger size needle (e.g. 14/90 or a special metallic needle), reduce machine tension right down and use the reel on a vertical spool pin (which I had never used until today). Using the silver Sliver on top and ordinary white cotton thread on the bobbin, it sewed beautifully. I sewed straight stitch with the Sliver using the regular machine foot and also experimented with some free motion outlining using a darning foot.






The Sliver, which comes in 24 colours, adds a true sparkle to the fabric and is smoother to the touch than the metallic thread. I can't wait to use it on some more pieces.


Extra Notes: You can learn more about Sulky Sliver Metallic thread here. You will find it at a number of retail outlets including AmazonThe wonderful people at Gutermann generously sent me a surprise parcel of mixed threads, including Sliver and Metallic threads, a few weeks ago to add to my own collection. 

***Updated October: You can see more of my Sliver experiences here.


Sharing at WIP Wednesday.





30 comments:

the momma said...

beautiful!!!! This will be such a fun quilt to snuggle up with ~ so many wonderful surprises to find. I can't wait to see it in its entirety!
~ Tracy

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow! I can tell that you are having a wonderful time creating this quilt.

Maryse said...

This looks very very intriguing...I wish I could see more...You know how to keep us on our toes...:)
Looks promising.:)

Beth said...

Your quilt is going to be beautiful! I like the idea of the silver thread.

Jeanne said...

Amazingly colorful Karen and I love that silver thread. Looks like your trusty sewing machine is doing a great job with your help!

Hayley said...

Wow! I love the sparkle - it looks great.

SarahZ said...

Wonderful pictures! The silver is like little dew drops around the sweet flowers :)

EricaSta said...

Dear Karen!
Thank for sharing your tipps with the different Yarn in Silver or metallic ... Is there also a Yarn in Gold or in Bronze ?
Many greetings na Heidrun from Augsburg

maryandpatch.blogspot.com said...

This is going to be super pretty!

Repelsteeltje said...

Dear Karen, such lovely colors and silver thread. I can't wait how it wil be....Anne-Marie

Unknown said...

I love them all! Nice and colourful!
Hugs
JetteMajken

Lisa Gordon said...

Really beautiful, Karen, and I just love that silver thread.

Joy said...

Awesome works. Very creative!

Cathy said...

Now my eyes are really lightening up because of the added embellishments! You are such a talented seamstress...I love seeing your work.

When do you do the majority of your sewing?

Joyful said...

It's looking good and it looks like you are having a lot of fun trying different things out on it.

Kim said...

Your trusty old sewing machine keeps on keeping on, doesn't it. Looks like you are having oodles of happy play, Karen. 'Tis gorgeous!!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thanks Cathy - still learning and having fun…..

Because I sew on our dining/homeschool table, I mostly sew on weekends and school holidays (we are half way through a two week winter break right now). Sometimes I sew a little of an evening too or some hand stitching in small pieces of time here and there.

Debbie Harris said...

Oh my Karen, just beautiful! I love the heart, and your stitch work is just lovely.
Thank you for your visit to my place, so nice to have you.
Joy! Debbie

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Erica the Sliver thread comes in 24 colours. I have added a couple of links to the Extra Notes at the end of the post.

flowersandhome said...

I love the colors and the all the different stitches and love how you show it all in detail. Beautiful macro pictures!
Marian

Michelle said...

I admire your ability to sew and create such beautiful works of art.

TheChieftess said...

Looks lovely!!!

EricaSta said...

Thank you, Karen for answering and giving the links
Wish you a very nice thursday <3

Seeing Each Day said...

I love everything you've been doing with this quilt - but especially love your work with the silver thread. Hope you have had a good 'holiday' week. Renee

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the extra details and the silver thread you are adding.

geanina said...

gorgeous colors! :)

Gunn said...

Gosh you are a very creative artist! I love the colors and your work.

Greetings from Gunn /Stavanger

Mary Huey said...

I have a friend who does a great deal of her quilting with Sliver -- it's always gives her quilts a unique touch!

Elise Lea said...

Karen this is just stunning. I am so inspired by your beautiful quilting and I look forward to seeing more of this quilt.

Anonymous said...

The Sulky adds a lovely touch of sparkle to the bright prints!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...