Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Playful Sewing








Playing with a selection of ribbons and threads I have had some fun over the last few days working with my colourful fabrics for this quilt. With no pattern to follow I'm working towards a set of 5 x 11" rows of fabric strips - unless I change my mind along the way. 

This week I've enjoyed using my "hand quilting" Sulky 12wt Blendables cotton threads for a little decorative machine sewing. Some shiny blue viscose/rayon also found its way onto my machine too, thanks to a surprise parcel of threads from the wonderful people at Gutermann.




This is the Gutermann Sulky Sunset Sky rayon/viscose machine embroidery thread pack which was in the parcel. I've never sewn with rayon threads before but their lustre and smooth texture are a delight both in the machine and for hand stitching. On the fabric below I used two threads of the rayon together to hand stitch a feature spot on the Acacia print, Hummingbird in Midnight.










It was fun to add some sparkle to my favourite new Anna Maria Horner fabric with some Gutermann Sulky metallic thread and also some DMC stranded metallic. The DMC, even using one strand, was a little stiff for this use but still pretty. The Gutermann metallic was finer and softer, just right for smaller stitching.

Sewing a quilt with an eclectic mix of fabrics, threads and trims is quite relaxing, resembling the free play of childhood in some ways. There are no rules and I'm thoroughly enjoying it!


Extra Notes: The wide ribbon in the top photo is Moths in Lavender and Turquoise by Anna Maria Horner by Renaissance Ribbons (bought on sale recently). I have sewed a grey velvet ribbon to the lower edge of the AMH ribbon using a matching Gutermann Extra Fine thread
The Gutermann Sulky rayon thread pack was a surprise gift to me from Gutermann, along with a selection of Sulky metallic threads and sliver reels.
The Anna Maria Horner fabric in the last three photos is Primrose in Sapphire from her recently released range, Pretty Potent. This fabric has a wonderful soft feel to it too - I have ordered sufficient to make the backing from this fabric.
Previous update on this quilt are here and here.


Sharing at Work In Progress Wednesday.

25 comments:

Kim said...

Making it up as you go, playing with fabric and thread is the best fun, isn't it. I love the embroidery details on your printed fabrics. The rayon threads are lovely. I am enjoying seeing your progress as you play!!

Unknown said...

So lovely. I lke the black rose-background!

Hugs
JetteMajken

geanina said...

lovely colors! :)

Fun60 said...

You are so talented.

Joyful said...

I love all the beautiful colours. It looks like you are having fun!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I can hardly wait to see this quilt finished. It looks like a lot of fun.

FlowerLady

diane b said...

There is so much fancy stuff on the market nowadays. You sure are having fun. Looking forward to seeing finished article.

Quilting Stories said...

Hi Karen! You are very creative! I am as well a fan of Anna Maria Horner style! I love those combinations of colors you did!

Gone Country said...

Very pretty and what fun! It's going to be a gorgeous quilt!

SarahZ said...

How wonderful! I have been anticipating this next "update"! Such a timely and perfect gift from Gutermann! Simply delightful, I can feel the "play" from here!

flowersandhome said...

This is like a whole new world unfolding to me through your pictures and words. Didn't know there was so much to be told and known about different fabrics and thread and ribbons. O how I'd love to discover this world for myself but in the meantime I will thoroughly enjoy what you show here on your blog of this amazing world of creation and beauty.

Now for something totally different, I was having trouble again with some(not all of them, weird) photos I uploaded to blogger and almost getting frustrated by the whole thing, and seeing myself go through all those same steps I once had to go through last september when the same thing happened, thanks to your post I suddenly remembered from a while ago, the problem was solved in no time(well, almost no time, as I said, I already got a bit frustrated trying out things, you know how that goes). Now saving my photos as .png files. So, thank you so much Karen, you helped me so so much!

Marian

EricaSta said...

Dear Karen,
what powerful colours this fabrics have. I believe that the work with it is wonderful.

Greetings by Heidrun from Bavaria

Renee said...

Those details are just lovely!! Can't wait to see the finish quilt.

Seeing Each Day said...

I don't have the ability to mix colours like you do, and I'm really enjoying watch the quips of images of how this quilt may turn out.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...


Hello Karen

I so loved your playful sewing. I'm feeling quite inspired - I haven't "stitched" for a while but I used to love it.

Thanks for this one.

Is this project just yours or are the others helping as well? Have lots of fun

Love

Margaret

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thanks Margaret. It’s just me. None of the others are particularly keen on sewing, despite gentle encouragement.

Maybe you should pick up a stitching project of your own.

:)
Karen

Tony said...

Me encanta tu trabajo y las imágenes tienen unos colores espectaculares.
felicidades.
Saludos Tony

Lisa Gordon said...

I think it must be so much fun to just be making this up as you go along, Karen.

I just LOVE those threads. The colors are amazing.

Happy day to you. :-)

Joanna @ Riddle and {Whimsy} said...

Such a simple thing to do but it looks so great! Love the gold touch on the AMH!!

Jen Price said...

Love those beautiful, bright colors!

Julie said...

There will be so many treats to discover when looking at this quilt (piece of art). Can't wait to see the finished result, no pressure.

Unknown said...

The metallic embroidery work on bold fabric is fabulous and creative.

Elise Lea said...

Karen, these are absolutely beautiful photos of your new WIP. I love your creativity, and each one of photos really shows your beautiful handiwork. I look forward to seeing more.

Ockduspock said...

Gorgeous! Love the anna maria :) It's a beautiful quilt!

hydeeannsews said...

this is an incredible project! i think i want to make a sampler/handquiled project of my own now. someday. =) i have so enjoyed looking at all the posts about the play you are having with color & thread. i'm glad it's been good therapy, too, as you've described. praying for you all still.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...