Friday, May 23, 2014

Butterfly Dance - Revisited




 A quick walk to the river early this morning was about as far as I ventured from home today. Many and varied family responsibilities filled my time, yet I was inspired by magnificent photos of snow capped mountains, brilliant ideas for embroidery, print making and quilting. The designs, fabrics and faces of the Spring Quilt Market in Pittsburgh passed before my eyes. The internet brings a great wealth of ideas, information and a real sense of being connected with the world, right from my home in our Australian country town.

Coinciding with the huge US Quilt Market each Fall and Spring Amy Ellis hosts an online Blogger's Quilt Festival. Today I'd like to briefly revisit my Butterfly Dance quilt and participate in the Spring festival, sharing from DownUnder where summer pleasantly lingers into Autumn.....




This is a quilt which nearly wasn't. I had decided not to make a quilt for my friend's tenth baby, which was due late December. But when Erin had a beautiful a baby girl just days before Christmas, I could't stop thinking bout this brand new baby with a delightful name.




There is something about news of a new life which melts your heart. Soon I was pulling fabrics from my stash which needed to become a quilt to share in the joy of a baby as well as wrapping love and warmth around her as she grows beyond babyhood.








The last stitches in the binding were completed late on New Year's Eve. I couldn't wait to meet this newborn, and I wanted to have the quilt finished to deliver when we visited.




Eager siblings watch on as baby peacefully feeds while Erin unwraps the quilt. 




There is great joy in making a quilt to give to someone you know, for even though a part of your heart and soul goes along with it, somehow you end up being a little richer for having given it away.


You can see more photos and read the full story in the original post here.

Sharing in Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival: Small Quilts.


21 comments:

Giga said...

Widok na pierwszym zdjęciu jest cudowny. Dawanie prezentów komuś, kogo się lubi zawsze sprawia przyjemność. Pozdrawiam.
View of the first picture is wonderful. Gift Giving someone you like is always pleasure. Yours.

Kim said...

Such a pretty quilt for a sweet baby girl. Love the opening photo, Karen, 'tis magical!!

Fun60 said...

Such a beautiful quilt made with love.

the momma said...

I love your last sentence! And of course, I love the quilt :-) I would have LOVED to receive just such a treasure.

DeborahGun said...

what a precious gift (and the colours are beautiful).

SarahZ said...

How sweet! A simple treasure, to give and receive!(LOVE the pic of the family looking on!)Wonderful colors and quilting!

Catherine said...

Very beautiful and heartfelt. Blessings, Catherine

Unknown said...

Hi Karen
Beautiful and very calm photo
Your carpets are always beautifully composed!
Have a nice weekend!
Jette Majken

forgetmenot said...

You couldn't find a more peaceful scene--just lovely. Beautiful quilt--I always admire quilters. So much skill and an abundance of patience to put one together. Have a nice weekend. Mickie :)

Unknown said...

That first photo is gorgeous. And What an amazing quilt.. It is beautiful. What an awesome gift to receive.

Hugs~

Seeing Each Day said...

A beautiful photo at the top of this selection. Also really enjoyed the month catch up in the previous post. Hope your weekend has been going ok. Renee

Dirk Rosin said...

det første bilde liker jeg best ! :;-)

Erin said...

It was indeed a beautiful gift to receive, a gift given with my love and accepted with much joy:) Getting to use it more now the weather is colder.

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's lovely to see this beautiful quilt again. I so agree with your last sentence.

FilipBlog said...

Ehat a top sailing boat picture.

Greetings,
Filip

tinajo said...

What a gift to receive - it´s beautiful! :-)

http://tinajoathome.com/

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

A beautiful quilt for a precious new life. I really like the color choices.

amanda said...

I remember this sweet quilt!

I've been away from blogs (mine & others) for a bit, Karen. I hope I haven't missed too much!!
Glad to be back.
Almost summer vacation for our kids, I can't wait!

geanina said...

it´s beautiful! :)

Anonymous said...

Great looking quilt! Lucky baby. I love your photo at the top of the post, too.

Liz said...

I think it's wonderful that you gift so many quilts! I am sure Erin and her new (or not so new now) baby are thoroughly enjoying it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...