Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ideas




My copy of this book, pre-ordered from Book Depository, arrived this week. There was one quilt in particular which had caught my eye from previews I had seen and I was keen to have a closer look. I already have the two books which Sarah Fielke had previously co-authored and love looking through them for inspiration. 

Below is the quilt I have had in mind, called "North By North East" by Sarah Fielke and I like it even more on closer inspection. Since I began quilting (about 18 months ago) I have been keeping an eye out for ideas for a quilt for our bed. Early last year I  made a quick queen-topper sized quilt which now lives on our bed until I make a "proper" quilt for us.




I love quilts with lots of colour, lost of white and some variety of design. I have been looking for something neither too "traditional" nor too "modern", a project achievable given my sewing circumstances and time.  The large centre panel is made up of rows of "flying geese". It reminds me of a huge pile of jewels spread in the sunshine. 




When I started quilting I didn't have any stash of suitable quilting cottons. However over the last 12 months I have delighted in searching for fabrics online (in the US) which have been on special and/or "make my heart sing". Many have been used in projects, some not yet. Together I now have quite a nice collection of whole pieces and left-overs. Today I went through my shelf of fabrics and gathered these together as "most likely" contenders for my new quilt. I love that this design uses any variety of your choice with a balance of white based and full-coloured prints. I can use so many of my favourites, but then, nearly all my fabrics are "favourites".




Tuesday night I had a look online for cherry fabrics. I quickly stumbled on this one from Lori Holt's just released range "Sew Cherry".  I love cherries and think they help make a quilt less "girlie" than a floral print would. Yesterday I enquired about the fabric's real life colours and decided to go ahead and order some. I'm pleased I did as it's now nearly sold out at the store of my choice (this time).



Now I need to wash and iron the fabrics which I haven't already washed previously. I have also been experimenting with three different techniques for making flying geese (any suggestions most welcome). Then I can begin the process of much cutting and sewing.....

13 comments:

Jen said...

Love the quilt in the book! That will look fantastic! I also LOVE the cherry fabric! ;)

Cathy said...

isn't fun to drool over those sort of magazines? Of course, I am still drooling and you off planning and beginning your next project!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Yes, I have decided on the flying geese technique I will use and have made a start with some washing, ironing and cutting....and sewn two geese....out of some 696 required! However, now the decision making is mostly done, the cutting and sewing will be easy to work on as time allows.

Andrea said...

hi I love that book .. I have not bought any (most are in English)
This beautiful quilt,I dont know what combinations of fabrics you will be using.
I searched a place that will explain three methods of making a wedge (I send for mail)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Andrea. I will use small amounts of most of these fabrics, plus some others. Lots of different prints and colours.

Mary Marcotte said...

That quilt will be beautiful, but I don't envy your having to make almost 700 flying geese! You said you've decided on a technique, but in case you're still considering, here's a link you might find useful:
http://lifesaquilt.blogspot.com/2006/09/my-favorite-flying-geese-technique_24.html

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thank you Fleur de Lis Quilts. I had never made any flying geese. They look easy but as I started trying out some methods (including the one in your link-thanks) I found they are a little tricky to make them exact. I think I've found what works best for me and my machine.

Janet said...

I'm glad you found a good method for the flying geese that suits. I love your fabrics and the new quilt plan. It took years for me to get one made for myself.

Green Apple said...

Hi - Wow what a great pattern and your fabrics are inspirational. I'm looking forward to coming back to see the progress. Amanda

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Thanks Amanda, please do come back, I hope to post on progress as I can.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Looking over your post, you have an amazing choice of fabric, YOU have a eye for color and patterns. I do like your choices!

Lisa said...

Oh this looks so lovely! I really like all of the bright happy colors you have chosen. It will be so beautiful - a treasure for sure!

Unknown said...

love the quilt book. the pattern you are looking at is lovely. Quilting is something I would love to learn how to do. I really like the cherry fabric! Maybe I will have to have a go at it sometime :) look forward to seeing pictures of your progress!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...